19 July 2015

A Judgement in Stone - Ruth Rendell

Genre: Fiction (Crime Fiction/Suspense)

Published in 1977 and widely considered to be one of Rendell's greatest works, it examines the class differences in Britain in the 1970s.  This novel is my second try at reading a Rendell novel, the first being A Sight for Sore Eyes. And although this book came with high recommendations, I am once again unimpressed.  I find that there is far too much detail in the story, but not enough actually happening.  I am left bored and somehow wanting more to happen.  I can, without a doubt, say that Ruth Rendell is not an author that I like or be willing to read again.

Eunice Parchman is illiterate and ashamed of it.  She is hired by the Coverdale family as a housekeeper, and makes friends with the post-mistress (who herself is a little bit strange).  The two friends end up spurring each other on and go crazy, murdering the Coverdale's with their own guns.  They would have gotten away with it but unfortunately Eunice's illiteracy causes their downfall as an important clue is left written down and she does not realize it.  When her illiteracy is revealed to all at her trial in court, she is absolutely mortified.



I am sure that for her fans, Rendell is a wonderful writer and that they love her stuff but I would not recommend her to anyone.





No comments:

Post a Comment