20 July 2014

The Concubine’s Secret – Kate Furnivall

Genre: Fiction

12 Years after her escape from communist Russia, and months after the tragic ending of The Russian Concubine, Lydia returns to find her father, the father she believed dead.  With Alexei Serov, her half-brother, and protector, Liev Popkov, the giant Cossack bear, she travels to Moscow and trouble finds her.  We join her as she tries to find the hidden labour camp where her father is being held.  Soon we meet Lydia’s other companions on this journey, Elena, a prostitute in love with Liev. Edik, the street urchin, and his puppy, Misty.  A Russian soldier and his wife. The ‘Vory’ and a most welcome appearance by Chang An Lo.

Again, this story is wonderfully written but I felt that I was let down by the ending because I hoped, beyond all the doubt that I knew existed, that there would be a happy ending for all involved.  I had also hoped for closure on Lydia’s story but Furnivall gives it an open ending and leaves one wondering.
Will there be another novel about Lydia? I doubt it, but I can’t help wishing that there will be.  I want to spend more time with these beautifully crafted characters and I actaully find myself missing them and wondering how they are doing.

The story of Valentina Ivanova and Jens Friis is found in the prequel, The Jewel of St. Petersburg, which I have yet to read...



No comments:

Post a Comment